How An Anti-Inflammatory Diet Can Reverse Chronic Health Conditions
Perhaps you’ve heard the term ‘anti-inflammatory diet’ over recent years and wondered what all the hype is about. It is not some trendy diet fad, but rather a holistic way to naturally support your body and improve any chronic illness you may be experiencing.
It may be cliché, but nothing is more true: food is medicine!
Whether you are suffering from chronic disease, experiencing inflammatory symptoms, or you just feel like you are not living your best life, adopting an anti-inflammatory diet will support your health and get you feeling better.
What is Inflammation?
Inflammation is the body’s natural response to protect itself against harm. This is a healthy and much needed response in the body during a time of crisis, but then it resolves.
However, chronic inflammation doesn’t resolve. Due to all kinds of stressors – toxins in our food supply, cigarette smoke, chemicals in our personal care products, extra body fat, chronic stress, recurring infections, to name a few – your body stays in an ongoing state of inflammation.
As a result, our cells start attacking our body and cause a host of diseases and debilitating conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, heart disease, digestive disorders, IBD, asthma, ulcers, diabetes, and even cancer.
Even if you don’t have one of these serious disease, you could still be experiencing chronic inflammation if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Digestive problems like gas, diarrhea, bloating or constipation
- Skin problems like eczema or psoriasis, or generally red blotchy skin
- Brain fog, depression or anxiety
- High blood glucose levels
- Excess fat around your abdomen
The great news is that there is so much you can do to reverse these conditions and reduce inflammation. The biggest gamechanger is your diet!
What is an Anti-Inflammatory Diet?
Health starts with food.
The food we eat can either be inflammatory or anti-inflammatory. When we reduce inflammation in our bodies, and thus any symptoms of inflammation, we reduce our risk of chronic disease.
Here’s a list of the best anti-inflammatory foods to eat:
- Organic fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Fermented foods rich in probiotics
- Bone broth to heal the gut and boost immunity
- Beans and legumes
- Healthy fats (like salmon, avocados, olive oil, nuts and seeds)
- Spices and herbs
Here’s a list of the worst inflammatory foods to reduce or avoid altogether:
- Refined, processed and fast foods
- Vegetable and canola oils
- Factory-farmed animal products (try for grass-fed, pasture-raised, and organic options)
- Conventional dairy
Focus on eating mostly the good (real, whole food) and less of the bad (processed, refined junk).
To learn more about optimizing your nutrition and health, please schedule a FREE discovery call.